A united Christian organization that reflects the character and mission of Jesus Christ and the conscience of the society for fullness of life for all creation.
To work towards the unity in on faith, common witness and Eucharistic fellowship of the churches in Nigeria and to facilitate and build the capacity of Member-Churches for a sustained Christian lifestyle, effective Christian witness and the God-ward orientation of the society.
We shall be transparent, virtuous and accountable in the use of all God’s resources, providing machineries for checks and balance and for being cost effective.
We shall respect the equality of all God’s people in all their differences and diversities and welcome the participation of all persons of whatever gender, ethnicity, nationality, or race as members of the council. We shall encourage the participation of persons with disabilities and respect people’s opinions as well as the separate and individual opinions of our members and Member-Churches.
We shall promote love, peace, harmony, justice and unity, being bound together in Koinonia in one Christian faith and witness, and in common humanity, and committed to theological dialogue and sharing of resource with one another for the good of all creation.
We shall be diligent to observe trends of events in our society, commending, challenging and condemning as necessary and participating in courageous actions of intercession, justice and mercy to the glory of God.
We shall regularly engage with the scriptures and with the reality of our context for clearer understanding of Christian virtues and seek to manifest them in all aspect of our lives in society.
FUNCTIONS OF THE COUNCIL
The functions of the council shall include, but not limited to the following:
- To promote the unity of Christian Churches in Nigeria that worship one God in the Trinity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and that accept the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as sufficient in its teachings concerning salvation and as the supreme standard under the Holy Spirit, in all matters of faith and conduct.
- To act as a forum by means of which Member-Churches may consult together and, when necessary, make common statements and take common action(s).
- To act as a consultative body whereby, chiefly through its Departments, the Member-Churches may work together in sponsoring projects or programmes of common benefits and interest.
- To generate such funds that will make for the realization of the Vision, Mission and Value Statements of the Council. These funds shall be used to run the council and establish such institutions that will make the council relevant to the needs of the society at large.
- To encourage ecumenical spirit in Member-Churches expressed in mutual respect and for cultural differences and sensitive to the inter-connectivity of all creation.
- To promote mutual understanding and renewal in unity, worship and mission, and encourage the active participation of Member-Churches, as well as for the good of the global ecumenical movement.
- Generally, to perform such other functions as will enable it to achieve its objectives.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE COUNCIL
A member-church of the council shall be a Christian church in Nigeria which:
- Worships one God in the Trinity of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit;
- Accepts the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as sufficient in their teachings concerning salvation and as a supreme standard, under the Holy Spirit, in all matters of faith and conduct;
- Is prepared to work in co-operation with other Member-Churches for the furtherance of Christian unity, the propagation of the gospel and justice in the economy and the earth;
- Teaches its members the Christian way of life and exercises Christian discipline;
- Is a registered organization with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) in Nigeria.
POTENTIAL ASSOCIATE MEMBER
A potential associate member shall be a Christian organization (including a church) registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) which teaches its member the Christian way of life and exercises Christian discipline, and which is prepared to work in co-operation with other Member-Churches of the Council.
LIMITS OF ASSOCIATE MEMBERS
Associate members shall not be entitled to represent the Council under the umbrella of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) at The National, Zonal, State and Local chapter level.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP
The following requirements shall apply for all categories of prospective members seeking to join the Council;
- Written application with supporting documents addressed to the General Secretary of the Council.
- Letter of recommendation from at least three Member-Churches, each of which shall be in good standing in the Council.
- Interview and approval by the NEC. The presence of the Church leader and at least two other senior officers of the prospective associate member shall be mandatory at the interview.
- Introduction of the prospective member to the Standing Committee and its acceptance with majority votes of members present at the meeting.
- Ratification of membership by the General Assembly with not less than two third majority votes of members present at the meeting.
TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP
Membership of the council for all categories of membership shall be terminated either by the decision of the Member-Church or organization, or on the recommendation of the Standing Committee, ratified by the decision of not less than two-thirds of the voting members present at the General Assembly. The General Assembly shall ensure that the termination shall be in good faith and for the good of the Church.
Where the membership of a Church has been terminated, every officer of the Council deriving his/her position of office from such membership shall forthwith cease to hold such office or position.
The General Assembly shall elect or appoint (as appropriate) a replacement for the affected office.
ORGANS OF THE COUNCIL
The organs of the council shall be:
- The General Assembly
- The Board of Trustees
- The Standing Committee
- The National Executive Committee (NEC)
- The Zonal Chapter
- The State Chapter
- The Local Government Chapter.
DIRECTORATES OF THE COUNCIL
There shall be established for the council the following directorates:
- National Issues Directorate
- Information, Research and Planning Directorate
- Ecumenism, Interfaith, Mission and Evangelism Directorate
- Relief, Welfare and Social Directorate
- Women Directorate
- Youth Directorate
Each Directorate shall work under a Director.
No directorate shall commit the Council to any expenditure, other than that approved by the Standing Committee within its budget.
Each directorate shall keep the Standing Committee fully informed of all its activities through the General Secretary and submit reports at least once a year.
The WOWICCN and YOWICCN shall submit their reports quarterly to the Standing Committee through NEC.